Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Welcome

Welcome to my blog e-friends. Nothing major to post yet, but always feel free to leave any literary or film recommendations here between new entries. As far as films for young audiences, I recommend anything by Hiyao Miyazaki. Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service are all beautifully animated and contain excellent characters. Princess Mononoke is my personal favorite (the conflict is between the ancient forest's intelligent animal guardians and a fortress-entrenched human mining settlement) but my eight year old daughter especially likes Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (a post apocalyptic utopia surrounded by a toxic jungle is threatened by an encroaching war). Don't worry, Literary postings will follow. I just wanted to test the waters, as they say. Thanks. Anyone have any views on Film as Literature?

2 comments:

john oberski said...

YES! Don't forget "Pom Poko", with its incredible shape-shifting racoons waging a war against intensive human development. Miyazaki produced this one and it is fantastic. OMG--Your blog is, like, through the lookingglass, man.

john oberski said...

did you know that the library has graphic novels of some of these films? I've seen "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Kiki's Delivery Service" there.